Wealth and Money
The most common coin is the gold piece (gp). A gold piece is worth 10 silver pieces. Each silver piece is worth 10 copper pieces (cp). In addition to copper, silver, and gold coins, there are also platinum pieces (pp), which are each worth 10 gp.
The standard coin weighs about a third of an ounce (fifty to the pound).
Wealth Other Than Coins
Merchants commonly exchange trade goods without using currency. As a means of comparison, some trade goods are detailed below.
- 1 cp One pound of wheat
- 2 cp One pound of flour, or one chicken
- 1 sp One pound of iron
- 5 sp One pound of tobacco or copper
- 1 gp One pound of cinnamon, or one goat
- 2 gp One pound of ginger or pepper, or one sheep
- 3 gp One pig
- 4 gp One square yard of linen
- 5 gp One pound of salt or silver
- 10 gp One square yard of silk, or one cow
- 15 gp One pound of saffron or cloves, or one ox
- 50 gp One pound of gold
- 500 gp One pound of platinum